Roles and Functions
- Housing Policy Management.
- Control, planning and management of urban areas.
- Management of County Civil servants housing scheme.
- Development and management of Government Housing.
- Building research services.
- Shelter and slum upgrading.
- Management of building and construction standards and codes.
- County secretariat for human settlement in urban areas.
- Liaison with national government on housing and urbanization matters.
- Urban infrastructure provision for the Municipalities , towns and other market centers.
- Implementation of the specific programs of urban employment and urban poverty alleviation.
- Development of urban economic enablers.
- Planning and coordination of urban transport systems with planning of walk and cycling paths.
- The department has established 3 municipalities each with a charter
- Machakos municipality
- Mavoko municipality
- Kangundo-Tala municipality
- Each municipality has a municipal board
- Each municipality has a manager
- Each municipality has both technical and administrative staff
- Municipality offices are in place
- Under the support of the World Bank through Kenya Urban Support Program (KUSP) we have been able to undertake projects in the following areas:
- Solid Waste management: by coming up with waste management policy.
- We have procured 400 large waste bins, 6 skip loaders and 2 compacting trucks
- Storm Water drainage: constructed drainage facilities in the 3 municipalities
- Connectivity: installed Integrated Solar Street lighting System, build Non Motorized Transport system (NMT), walkways, parking bays and connecting roads in the 3 municipalities
- Fire and Disaster Management : construction of Fire station ongoing at Machakos Municipality
Contact Details of Key Personnel
Name: Thomas Kavivya
Designation: Chief Officer – Housing & Urban Development
Mobile Number: +254 714 013337
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org