The Machakos Entertainment Centre for Film, Media, Music and the Arts (Machawood) was pioneered by the Machakos County Governor, H.E., Dr. Alfred Mutua and has a board comprising of experienced media, film, and events professionals. Machawood makes Machakos County the premier hub for entertainment and film in the region and beyond.
One of the key Machawood mandates is to create jobs in the creative arts industry by harnessing talent and creating an enabling environment for the growth of the creative industry. Notably, the creative industry is one of the largest sectors of the world economy.
To be a Film destination and a Centre of excellence where quality entertainment is created and harnessed.
To provide a conducive environment for the arts, develop partnerships, identify and nurture skills and talents to spur economic growth.
- To develop world class infrastructure for the production of quality film, media, music and the arts.
- To engage, train and retain quality human resource for the attainment of Machawood’s vision.
- To adopt best practices for film, media, music and the arts production in the entertainment industry.
- To develop strategic alliances and private public partnerships with stakeholders in the entertainment industry.
- To scout and facilitate development of talent and skills in the entertainment industry locally and beyond.
- To create opportunities for talented performers by organizing entertainment activities.
Talent nurturing programs
These programs are aimed at identifying and nurturing talents in the arts targeting all schools and local artists across the county and beyond. The programs have been made successful through the support of sponsors who have walked hand-in-hand with Machawood. The following programmes are held annually: –
|1||Machakosfest||A short film festival|
|2||UHAI Festival||Brings PWDS together with an aim of celebrating life|
|3||Machakos Artfest||Brings all artists in the creative industry together for training and showcasing talents|
|4||Tour de Machakos||Brings professional cyclists together with an aim of promoting sports tourism|
|5||Top-choir Show||A competition meant to promote music as a talent.|